- Robot sales hit record high for 3rd straight quarter
- AMD smartNICs to meld ASICs, FPGAs, Arm cores
- Nvidia will unveil next-gen GPU architecture in September
- The first industrial robot: why it failed
- Berkeley researchers announce DayDreamer algorithm
- Alibaba Cloud launches RISC-V developer platform for edge SoCs
- RISC-V universe grows with new GPUs, CPUs, and Development Kits
- KPMG study predicts accelerated boom in auto chip sales as congress considers incentives
- Researchers at Seoul National University developed a deep learning framework to improve a robotic sketching agent’s skills
- Three Core Benefits of Simulation for Software-Hardware Project Development
- Upgrading multi-GPU interconnectivity with the third-generation NVIDIA NVSwitch
- Inside NVIDIA Grace CPU: NVIDIA amps up superchip engineering for HPC and AI
Source: The Robot Report, August 29, 2022 
North American companies bought 12,305 robots in Q2 2022, a 6% increase from Q1 of 2022. During Q2, 59% of sales came from automotive customers. Unit orders increased 13% in the food and consumer goods industry over the same quarter in 2021.
Source: The Register, August 27, 2022 
AMD will combine FPGAs and smartNICs to build a better infrastructure processor for the cloud, datacenter, and telco network. AMD acquired Xilinx and Pensando earlier this year. Embedded processors offer a more flexible alternative, but suffer from many of the same limitations as the CPU.
Source: The Register, August 25, 2022 
Graphics giant Nvidia saw revenue decline in the quarter ended July 31. Company forecasts a further decline due to weakening demand in the gaming market. CEO Jensen Huang plans to unveil architecture for next-generation consumer GPU, Lovelace, at its GTC conference in Septemebr.
Source: Robotics Business Review, October 14, 2012 
50 years ago, Joesph Engelberger started Unimation, Inc., the world's first industrial robot manufacturer. Pullman, developer of the famous railroad car, put up $3M for a 51% share in Unimation. The company wouldn't turn a profit for fifteen years.
Source: The Robot Report, August 23, 2022 
DayDreamer is a reinforcement-learning algorithm created by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley. It can teach a quadruped to walk in an hour and a robotic arm how to pick and place objects in 10 hours using just camera images. The algorithm uses a world model to learn complex behaviors in the real world.
Source: The Register, August 25, 2022 
China's Alibaba has released a development platform to help chip designers. Wujian 600 is aimed at the creation of edge SoCs using the RISC-V instruction-set architecture. Platform was created by another Alibaba subsidiary, its wholly owned semiconductor business T-Head.
Source: allaboutcircuits, August 28, 2022 
More companies continue to leverage RISC-V, a free open source instruction set architecture, to push innovation in GPUs and real-time CPU devices.
Source: Forbes, July 26, 2022 
U.S. House and Senate are expected to vote on a measure providing billions in incentives including tax breaks to the semiconductor chip industry. KPMG now expects global sales of automotive semiconductors to reach $200 billion by the mid-2030's.
Researchers at Seoul National University developed a deep learning framework to improve a robotic sketching agent’s skills
Source: MarkTechPost, August 27, 2022 
Deep learning algorithms have produced amazing results in various fields, including the arts. Researchers have developed a framework that displays drawing as a sequential choice process rather than creating a generative model that creates artistic works by generating certain pixel patterns. It can independently create its own sketching techniques over time by learning from mistakes.
Source: Fresh Consulting, August 23, 2022 
Using simulation for software-hardware project development early and consistently is essential. It allows us to jumpstart software development, decrease hardware integration time, and increase system reliability. At Fresh, we use simulation to help us design and build systems involving custom combinations of hardware and software.
Source: NVIDIA Technical Blog, August 25, 2022 
The third-generation NVIDIA NVSwitch is designed to provide connectivity within a node or to GPUs external to the node for the NVLink Switch System. It also incorporates hardware acceleration for collective operations with multicast and NVIDIA Scalable Hierarchical Aggregation and Reduction Protocol (SHARP).
Source: NVIDIA Technical Blog, August 26, 2022 
Grace CPU is the first data center CPU developed by NVIDIA. It has 72 Armv9 CPU cores that implement Arm Scalable Vector Extensions version two (SVE2) instruction set. Cores also incorporate virtualization extensions with nested virtualization capability and S-EL2 support.
Source: SciTePress, 2022 
We have developed a model-driven engineering approach for the modular composition and simulation of complex ensembles of industrial robots based on the Robot Operating System (ROS). The approach consists of a domain-specific profile for the Unified Modeling Language (UML) and a modelto-text transformation.
Source: DIVA, June 9, 2022 
Volvo GTO has started investigating a possible implementation of an autonomous-transport robot system for material delivery in production environments. This thesis investigates possible improvements for the system by adding a dynamic connection handling, which allows robots to connect and disconnect under the system's run time.
Source: ResearchGate, July 5, 2022 
Spiking Neural Networks (SNN) are an emerging type of biologically plausible and efficient Artificial Neural Network (ANN). This work presents a hardware accelerator for a SNN for high-performance inference. The accelerator is targeting the Xilinx Artix-7 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).
Hardware Acceleration in Robotics Newsletters
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #22 - How Europe aims to achieve strategic autonomy for semiconductors, Amazon to acquire iRobot, iRobot laying off 10% of staff and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #21 - Adaptive computing makes robots more efficient, AMD and ECARX to collaborate on immersive digital cockpit in vehicle computing platform and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #20 - Acceleration Robotics and Harvard present collaborative research, Robotics hiring levels in the tech industry rose in June 2022 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #19 - ABB: 62% of US businesses looking to invest in robotics, Sony making sensors for autonomous vehicles and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #18 - EFPGAs bring a 10X advantage in power and cost, Introducing QODA: the platform for hybrid quantum-classical computing and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #17 - ROS2 HAWG #10, Siemens and NVIDIA to enable industrial metaverse, Simplifying hardware acceleration for robots with ROS2 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #16 - RTI improves ROS2 performance in software-defined cars, Intel is running rings around AMD and Arm at the edge and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #15 - The ROS 2 hardware acceleration stack and ROBOTCORE™, RISC-V shines at embedded world with new specs and processors and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #14 - Acceleration Robotics launch ROBOTCORE™ to speed-up ROS 2 robots, ROS 2 driver now available for ABB’s robot arms and more
ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration Working Group meetings
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #10
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #9
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #8
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #7
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #6
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #5
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #4
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #3
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #2
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #1
Wessling, B. (2022, August 29). Robot sales hit record high for 3rd straight quarter. The Robot Report. https://www.therobotreport.com/robot-sales-hit-record-high-for-3rd-straight-quarter/ ↩︎
Mann, T. (2022, August 27). AMD smartNICs to combine ASICs, FPGAs, arm cores. The Register: Enterprise Technology News and Analysis. https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/27/amd_smartnics/ ↩︎
Robinson, D. (2022, August 25). Nvidia revenue hit by falling gamer GPU sales. The Register: Enterprise Technology News and Analysis. https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/25/nvidia_q2_2023/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=article ↩︎
The first industrial robot: Why it failed. (2012, October 14). Robotics Business Review. https://www.roboticsbusinessreview.com/manufacturing/the_first_industrial_robot_why_it_failed/ ↩︎
Wessling, B. (2022, August 23). Berkeley researchers announce daydreamer algorithm. The Robot Report. https://www.therobotreport.com/berkeley-researchers-announce-daydreamer-algorithm/?spMailingID=74328&puid=2502618&E=2502618&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=74328 ↩︎
Robinson, D. (2022, August 25). Alibaba launches RISC-V developer platform for edge socs. The Register: Enterprise Technology News and Analysis. https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/25/alibaba_riscv_developer_platform/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=article ↩︎
Oyenkule, A. (2022, August 28). RISC-V universe grows with new GPUs, CPUs, and Development Kits. allaboutcircuits. https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/risc-v-universe-grows-with-new-gpus-cpus-and-development-kits/ ↩︎
Garsten, E. (2022, July 26). KPMG study predicts accelerated boom in auto chip sales as congress considers incentives. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarsten/2022/07/26/kpmg-study-predicts-accelerated-boom-in-auto-chip-sales-as-congress-considers-incentives/amp/ ↩︎
Baraik, P. (2022, August 27). Researchers at Seoul national University developed a deep learning framework to improve a robotic sketching agent's skills. MarkTechPost. https://www.marktechpost.com/2022/08/27/researchers-at-seoul-national-university-developed-a-deep-learning-framework-to-improve-a-robotic-sketching-agents-skills/ ↩︎
Soesbe, J. (2022, August 23). Three core benefits of simulation for software-hardware project development. Fresh Consulting. https://www.freshconsulting.com/insights/blog/three-core-benefits-of-simulation-for-software-hardware-project-development/ ↩︎
Eassa, A., Ishii, A., & Wells, R. (2022, August 25). Upgrading Multi-GPU Interconnectivity with the third-generation NVIDIA NVSwitch. NVIDIA Technical Blog. https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/upgrading-multi-gpu-interconnectivity-with-the-third-generation-nvidia-nvswitch/ ↩︎
Evans, J., & Eassa, A. (2022, August 26). Inside NVIDIA grace CPU: NVIDIA amps up Superchip engineering for HPC and AI. NVIDIA Technical Blog. https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/inside-nvidia-grace-cpu-nvidia-amps-up-superchip-engineering-for-hpc-and-ai/ ↩︎
Hoppe, N., & Hoffschulte, J. (2022). Model-driven engineering and simulation of industrial robots with ROS. SciTePress . https://www.scitepress.org/Papers/2022/108836/108836.pdf ↩︎
Dust, L. K., & Persson, E. (2022, June 9). Dynamic connection handling for scalable robotic systems using ROS2. DIVA. https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A1666823&dswid=9529 ↩︎
Carpegna, A., Savino, A., & Carlo, S. D. (2022, July 5). Spiker: an FPGA-optimized Hardware accelerator for Spiking Neural Networks. ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alessio-Carpegna/publication/357953311_Spiker_an_FPGA-optimized_Hardware_acceleration_for_Spiking_Neural_Networks/links/62972fc955273755ebc79668/Spiker-an-FPGA-optimized-Hardware-acceleration-for-Spiking-Neural-Networks.pdf ↩︎