- ROS developers meet-up organised by acceleration robotics
- China unveils new plan for wider robot use from manufacturing to agriculture, as population shrinks
- AMD powers DENSO's next-gen automotive lidar systems
- Asia-Pacific continues to dominate the global semiconductor market
- AMD launches program enabling turnkey designs based on its Kria SOMs
- AMD’s Lisa Su goes extra time with announcements during CES 2023 keynote
- SiFive, Intel announce HiFive pro P550 MicroATX RISC-V development board
- NVIDIA grace CPU Superchip architecture in depth
Source: Acceleration Robotics, January 20, 2023 
Acceleration Robotics organized the ROS Developers Meet in India with the goal of creating a cohesive community of Indian ROS Developers.
Source: South China Morning Post, January 20, 2023 
China has published a new action plan laying out 10 industries where it wants to use more robots. Beijing will accelerate the application of robotics in manufacturing, agriculture, logistics, energy, healthcare, education and elderly services. Policymakers aim to achieve more than 100 innovative robotics applications by 2025.
Source: Fierce electronics, January 19, 2023 
AMD continues to find success with Japanese automotive manufacturers for deployment of its Xilinx Automotive (XA) Zynq UltraScale+ adaptive system-on-a-chip. Japan's DENSO will use the multi-processor SoC in its next-generation lidar platform.
Source: Investment Monitor, January 25, 2023 
The semiconductor industry has suffered significant shortages during the pandemic, meaning it is still highly dependent on Asia-Pacific.
Source: allaboutcircuits, January 18, 2023 
Leveraging the company’s FPGA-based Kria system-on-modules (SOMs) and its app store methodology, AMD is unveiling a new ODM partner effort.
Source: Forbes, January 24, 2023 
Dr. Lisa Su made seven key product announcements spanning energy efficient PCs to extreme processors designed for supercomputers. AMD added a dedicated AI core to its new Ryzen 7040 series notebook processors. Most of AMD's announcements focused on PCs - both desktop and notebooks.
Source: Tom's Hardware, January 23, 2023 
HiFive Pro P550 development board is on track for release during the summer of 2023. Powered by a "Horse Creek" SoC, which is a quad-core, 64-bit RISC-V design. Built by Intel Foundry Services on the Intel 4 process (aka 7nm).
Source: NVIDIA Technical Blog, January 18, 2023 
The NVIDIA Grace CPU is the first data center CPU developed by NVIDIA. The superchip builds on the existing Arm ecosystem to create the first no-compromise Arm CPU for HPC, demanding cloud workloads, and high-performance and power efficient dense infrastructure. More information is available in the NVIDIA Grace Hopper Superchip Whitepaper.
Source: arXiv, November 27, 2022 
IoT applications span a wide range in performance and memory footprint, under tight cost and power constraints. HULK-V is an open-source Heterogeneous Linux-capable RISC-V-based SoC with an 8-core Programmable Multi-Core Accelerator. It is a fully digital ultra-low-cost SoC running a 64-bit Linux software stack with extreme energy efficiency and processing capabilities.
Source: arXiv, October 17, 2022 
In this paper, we explore the software design, parallelization and optimization of the key kernels of the lower physical layer (PHY) for physical uplink shared channel (PUSCH) reception on MemPool and TeraPool. Our analysis generalizes to the entire lower PHY of the uplink receiver at gNB.
Hardware Acceleration in Robotics Newsletters
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #43 - ROS 2 HAWG#14, Acceleration robotics joins AESEMI to lead new processor architectures, ROS 2 HAWG in 2022 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #42 - Can the U.S. bring chip manufacturing home?, The best tech of CES 2023, Teaching old robots new tricks and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #41 - ROS Meetup, Does 2+2=4? Microchip announces PolarFire 2; You do the math, Robots at CES 2023 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #40 - Robot sales on track to hit a new high in 2022, Where all the semiconductor investments are going and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #39 - May the best robot win, Auto chips seen as biggest revenue producer in ‘23: KPMG survey and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #38 - ROS 2 HAWG - meeting #13, Intrinsic acquires OSRC and OSRC-SG, Mobile robot shipments increased by 53% in 2022 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #37 - China surpasses U.S. in robot density, India in the Era of ‘Silicon Diplomacy’ and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #36 - Acceleration Robotics collaborating with Microchip to fasten robot computations with ROS 2 and RISC-V FPGA SoCs and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #35 - Robotics and ROS 2 in the PolarFire® SoC FPGA, Outdoor mobile robot shipments 'to hit 350,000 by 2030', No, autonomous vehicles aren’t dead and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #34 - ROS2 HAWG #13, Robotics markets: up, down or just sideways?, Nvidia offers new advanced chip for China that meets U.S. export controls and more
ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration Working Group meetings
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #13
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #12
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #11
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #10
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #9
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #8
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #7
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #6
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #5
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #4
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #3
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #2
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #1
Vikhe, G. (2023, January 20). ROS developers meet-up organised by acceleration robotics. Hardware Acceleration in Robotics. https://news.accelerationrobotics.com/ros-developers-meet-up-organized-by-acceleration-robotics/ ↩︎
Zhang, L. (2023, January 20). China unveils new plan to use more robots as population shrinks. South China Morning Post. https://amp-scmp-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3207622/china-unveils-new-plan-wider-robot-use-manufacturing-agriculture-population-shrinks ↩︎
O'shea, D. (2023, January 19). AMD powers DENSO's next-gen automotive lidar systems. Fierce electronics. https://www.fierceelectronics.com/sensors/amd-powers-densos-next-gen-automotive-lidar-systems ↩︎
Caon, V. (2023, January 25). Asia-Pacific continues to dominate the global semiconductor market. Investment Monitor. https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/features/asia-pacific-continues-to-dominate-the-global-semiconductor-market/ ↩︎
Child, J. (2023, January 18). AMD launches program enabling turnkey designs based on its Kria SOMs. allaboutcircuits. https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/amd-launches-program-enabling-turnkey-designs-based-on-its-kria-soms/ ↩︎
Krewell, K. (2023, January 24). AMD’s Lisa Su goes extra time with announcements during CES 2023 keynote. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tiriasresearch/2023/01/23/amds-lisa-su-goes-extra-time-with-announcements-during-ces-2023-keynote/?ss=consumertech&sh=4d2db151755a ↩︎
Hill, B. (2023, January 23). SiFive, Intel announce HiFive pro P550 MicroATX RISC-V development board. Tom's Hardware. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sifive-intel-hifive-risc-v-development-board ↩︎
Evans, J., Finder, I., Goldwasser, I., Linford, J., Mehta, V., Ruiz, D., & Wagner, M. (2023, January 18). NVIDIA grace CPU Superchip architecture in depth. NVIDIA Technical Blog. https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-grace-cpu-superchip-architecture-in-depth/ ↩︎
Valente, L., Tortorella, Y., Sinigaglia, M., Tagliavini, G., Capotondi, A., Benini, L., & Rossi, D. (2022, November 27). HULK-V: A heterogeneous ultra-low-power Linux capable RISC-V soc. arXiv. https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.14944 ↩︎
Bertuletti, M., Zhang, Y., Vanelli-Coralli, A., & Benini, L. (2022, October 17). Efficient Parallelization of 5G-PUSCH on a scalable RISC-V many-core processor. arXiv.org. https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.09196 ↩︎