- ROS 2 Humble Hawksbill with Yocto and PetaLinux
- AMD's robotics starter kit for the factory of the future
- AMD Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kit takes on NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier devkit
- Streamlining ROS 2 Development on an FPGA SoC
- Edge ML and Robotics Critical for Digitalization and Industrial Automation Initiatives
- RISC-V needs more than an open architecture to compete
- The Challenge Of Optimizing Chip Architectures For Workloads
- New Robots Require New Ways To Think About Processors
- Robotics Outlook 2030: How Intelligence and Mobility Will Shape the Future
- MIPS discloses first RISC-V chips coming in Q4 2022
- U.S. clears way for truly driverless vehicles without steering wheels
Source: Acceleration Robotics, May 17, 2022 
Yocto and ROS 2 allow you to build a production-grade custom operating system for robots. We discuss how to get ROS 2 Humble into Yocto and PetaLinux and why this is relevant for hardware acceleration.
Source: Electronic Specifier, May 17, 2022 
AMD has announced the Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kit, the latest addition to the Kria portfolio of adaptive system-on-modules (SOMs) and developer kits. A scalable and out-of-the-box development platform for robotics, the Kria KR260 offers a seamless path to production deployment with the existing Kria K26 adaptive SOMs.
Source: Embedded Systems News, May 18, 2022 
AMD Xilinx Kria KR260 Robotics Starter Kit features the Kria K26 Zynq UltraScale+ XCK26 FPGA MPSoC system-on-module (SoM) introduced last year together with the Kria KV260 Vision AI Starter Kit.
Designed as a development platform for robotics and industrial applications, the KR260 is said to deliver nearly 5x productivity gain, up to 8x better performance per watt and 3.5x lower latency compared to Nvidia Jetson AGX Xavier or Jetson Nano kits.
Source: Electronic Design, May 17, 2022 
The Robot Operating System (ROS) has emerged as the middleware underlying most robotic systems these days. ROS 2 is the latest incarnation. As noted, ROS is more middleware than an operating system and usually ROS runs on top of an operating system like Linux or Windows. ROS 2 also is built on the Object Management Group's (OMG) Data Distribution Service (DDS).
Of course, ROS 2 and DDS don’t do much unless there's hardware to run it on. This is where platforms like those from AMD-Xilinx come into play. The company's latest offerings are based on the K26 Adaptive SOM.
Source: Robotics Business Review, May 17, 2022 
Edge ML and robotics technologies are critical enablers for ongoing digitalization and automation efforts. Also required?… robust development platforms (hardware and software) that speed and simplify robotics development and deployment.
Source: The Register, May 16, 2022 
Arm shows us that even total domination doesn't always make stupid levels of money.
Source: Semiconductor Engineering, May 12, 2022 
Hardware/software co-design has progressed beyond mapping one onto the other. It is about holistically solving a problem in the most efficient manner with a given set of constraints.
Source: Semiconductor Engineering, May 12, 2022 
Enabling the deployment of safe, more power efficient robots while maintaining a small form factor. Sales of commercial and industrial robots are slated to grow by 25% to 35% per year over the next decade. The market could reach $260 billion by 2030, according to Boston Consulting Group estimates.
Source: BCG Global, June 28, 2021 
We expect the global robotics market to climb from about $25 billion this year to between $160 billion and $260 billion by 2030, with market share for professional services robots hitting up to $170 billion and industrial and logistics robot sales topping off at about $80 billion.
Source: The Register, May 11, 2022 
eVocore processor line aimed at high-performance, real-time compute applications.
Source: CNBC, Mar 11, 2022 
Federal vehicle safety regulators have cleared the way for the production and deployment of truly driverless vehicles that do not include manual controls such steering wheels or pedals.
Hardware Acceleration in Robotics Newsletters
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #9 - RobotCore, RISC-V CEO seeks 'world domination', NVIDIA Jetson AGX Orin, Qualcomm unveils RB6 platform and RB5 AMR reference design, and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #8 - Clearpath announces TurtleBot4 flexible addition to the ROS2 ecosystem, AMD EPYC processors include FPGA AI engines and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #7 - ROS 2 HAWG - meeting #8, ROS 2 Nodes for Perception, using NVIDIA Jetson to create real-time multi-camera pipelines and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #6 - ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration Architecture including cloud, Nav2 integration with NVIDIA Isaac ROS GEMs, RISC-V chip adoption and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #5 - Global robot software market to reach 7527 million $ in 2025, NVIDIA medical-grade chip with hardware acceleration and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #4 - Single-Chip Processors, a technical review of NVIDIA Jetson Orin and the new ROS 2 iRobot Create 3 and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #3 - Hardware-accelerated ROS 2 Pipelines, The Robotic Processing Unit (RPU) and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #2 - Nvidia Isaac ROS GEMs, Nvidia H100, updates to CUDA-X Libraries and more
- Hardware Acceleration in Robotics #1 - ROS2 for Self-Driving Cars, Intel world fastest FPGAs, Nvidia GTC and more
ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration Working Group meetings
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #8
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #7
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #6
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #5
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #4
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #3
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #2
- Hardware Acceleration WG, meeting #1
Mayoral, V. (2022, May 17). ROS 2 humble with Yocto and PetaLinux. Hardware Acceleration in Robotics. https://news.accelerationrobotics.com/ros2-humble-yocto-petalinux/ ↩︎
Holland, S. (2022, May 17). AMD's robotics starter kit for the factory of the future. Electronics News | Electronic Specifier. https://www.electronicspecifier.com/industries/robotics/amd-s-robotics-starter-kit-for-the-factory-of-the-future ↩︎
Aufranc, J. L. (2022, May 18). $349 AMD Kria KR260 robotics starter kit takes on NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier devkit. CNX Software - Embedded Systems News. https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/05/18/349-amd-kria-kr260-robotics-starter-kit-takes-on-nvidia-jetson-agx-xavier-devkit/ ↩︎
Wong, W. G. (2022, May 17). Streamlining ROS 2 development on an FPGA soc. Electronic Design. https://www.electronicdesign.com/markets/robotics/video/21241803/electronic-design-streamlining-ros-2-development-on-an-fpga-soc ↩︎
Su, L. J. (2022, May 17). Edge ML and robotics critical for digitalization and industrial automation initiatives. Robotics Business Review. https://www.roboticsbusinessreview.com/rbr/edge-ml-and-robotics-critical-for-digitalization-and-industrial-automation-initiatives/ ↩︎
Goodwins, R. (2022, May 16). RISC-V needs its own sector to compete. The Register: Enterprise Technology News and Analysis. https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/16/riscv_world_domination/ ↩︎
Bailey, B. (2022, May 13). The challenge of optimizing chip architectures for workloads. Semiconductor Engineering. https://semiengineering.com/the-challenge-of-optimizing-chip-architectures-for-workloads/?cmid=e3595c29-04f2-43ff-bd99-65e710a17875 ↩︎
New robots require new ways to think about processors. (2022, May 12). Semiconductor Engineering. https://semiengineering.com/new-robots-require-new-ways-to-think-about-processors/?cmid=e3595c29-04f2-43ff-bd99-65e710a17875 ↩︎
Lassig, R., Lorenz, M., Sissimatos, E., Wicker, I., & Buchner, T. (2021, June 28). Robotics outlook 2030: How intelligence and mobility will shape the future. BCG Global. https://www.bcg.com/publications/2021/how-intelligence-and-mobility-will-shape-the-future-of-the-robotics-industry ↩︎
Robinson, D. (2022, May 11). MIPS says first RISC-V chips coming in Q4 2022. The Register: Enterprise Technology News and Analysis. https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/11/mips_riscv_chips/ ↩︎
Wayland, M. (2022, March 11). U.S. clears way for truly driverless vehicles without steering wheels. CNBC. https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/11/us-clears-way-for-driverless-vehicles-without-steering-wheels.html ↩︎